How To Handle A Termite Infestation In Your Waldorf Home
March 15, 2022 - Termites
Pests can truly “bug” us in several ways, but few are as damaging as a termite. These insects will eat through your house and home, causing expensive damages and dangerous conditions. Don’t let termites be a problem for you. By taking time to understand the best ways to protect your Waldorf home and knowing that Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control is by your side, you can keep your property termite-free.
What Termites Look Like In Waldorf
Termites can vary greatly in appearance, as each is typically made to do a certain job. The termite lives in a colony, and each part of the colony has its own job to do. There is a king and a queen, which will have lost their wings once they take over the colony. Other termites are workers, and they have a larger mandible for chewing through wood. Depending on their ages, the termite can also seem different in appearance. All termites, no matter the species or job, average ¼ to ½ of an inch in size. They are often white to light brown in color. They have a soft body and antennae.
Early Signs Of A Termite Infestation In Waldorf
There are a few signs to watch out for if you suspect termites are in your Waldorf home. Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control recommends that you keep an eye out for:
- Wood damage: Termites leave behind waste that looks much like sawdust as they nibble through wood in and around your home.
- Mud tubes: Outdoors, you may see signs of tunnels created by termites. These earthen structures are used as a method of transportation.
- Swarms of flying termites: Before they colonize as king and queen, termites can often have a double wing set and will fly. You may see termites swarming in late winter in the Waldorf area.
- Seeing termites and their eggs: Termites can be seen by the naked eye, as can their eggs. You may see these pests, as they will tend to stick in large groups, known as colonies.
Does DIY Termite Control Work In Waldorf Homes?
Homeowners will often ask if they can rid their Waldorf home of termites themselves. While it is a tempting option, this seldom works. At Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control, we have the expertise honed over years in the business and know just how tricky termites can be. Termites will reproduce rapidly and can make quick work of the wood structure that supports your Waldorf home. This is a pest best left to the professionals. In the long run, the damage termites can do will far outweigh the expense of a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Some tips we recommend to discourage termites include:
- Do not leave woodpiles near the home or its foundation. These piles attract termites quickly.
- Eliminate sources of moisture such as a leaky outdoor faucet. Termites will seek food, shelter, and water from your Waldorf home.
- Use mulch minimally, or not at all, to discourage moisture (not to mention wood) from remaining near the house’s foundation.
- Keep plants away from the foundation, as they too will collect moisture and attract termites to your home.
Why Professional Termite Control In Waldorf Is The Best
If you are seeing any sign of termites in your Waldorf home, it is best to contact Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control right away. You do not want to let these pests eat away at your biggest investment: your home. Trust your Waldorf home to our professionals. We will create a plan catered to your unique pest control needs. Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control will follow that plan up with routine visits to be sure your Waldorf home remains pest-free for a long time to come.