How To Get Rid Of An Ant Infestation In Your Waldorf Home
August 15, 2022 - Ants
Ants are such common pests that you've likely seen them many times around your home. If you haven't seen ants on your property, it's only a matter of time before they appear. Ants in Waldorf are common and invasive, so even the non-dangerous species can still be a huge problem to remove. While ant prevention steps are essential, they aren't beneficial if you already have an ant infestation.
In this case, you'll need to learn how to identify and remove these pests. Keep reading to learn more about effective pest control in Waldorf from our experts at Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control.
How To Tell If You Have An Ant Infestation
Ants are pretty easy to identify once you see them crawling around, but you might not see them at first. In the early stages of an infestation, ants may be living inside the walls or underground nests. You're more likely to see them after the infestation has grown out of control.
But, there are a few other signs of an ant infestation to look out for, such as:
- Seeing sawdust trails in the yard or near wooden items
- Hearing hollow sounds in wooden structures
- Finding discarded wings around the property
- Noticing a rustling sound inside the walls
- Discovering a dirt pile or multiple piles around the yard
These signs likely indicate you have an ant infestation, but the only way to be sure is to get an inspection of your property.
The Many Issues Ants Can Cause In Your Home
Although there are some exceptions, ants are considered nuisance pests. However, even the nuisance species can cause significant headaches once they nest around your property.
Here are some of the specific issues that ants can create for homeowners:
- They Are Difficult To Remove: Many species have colonies that contain up to hundreds of thousands of ants.
- Some Can Damage Your Property: Carpenter ants can tunnel through wooden structures to build their nests.
- Certain Species Pose Health Risks: The pharaoh ant can transmit illnesses such as salmonella, while the fire ant has venom and can sting.
Ants often look pretty similar to one another. If you have an ant infestation, our Waldorf pest control experts can determine the kind of ant you're dealing with and develop an effective treatment plan to remove them.
The Most Efficient Way To Get Rid Of An Ant Infestation
Unfortunately, ants are very resistant to most DIY control methods. Because they have such sprawling colonies, approaches such as over-the-counter sprays and traps will only remove some of the ants. Instead, obtain help from the experts who have experience removing even the most stubborn ant problems.
Five Simple Tips To Prevent Future Ant Infestations
After the team at Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control eliminates your ant infestation, you can help protect your home from future invasions by following these five steps:
- Use caulk or foam to fix any cracks in the walls and foundation.
- Remove excess moisture problems by fixing leaky plumbing.
- Clean floors and countertops if you spill food or drink.
- Keep trash cans covered with lids.
- Fix broken screens in doors and windows.
Along with implementing a few ant prevention tips on your own, a home pest control plan is the best way to permanently keep ants away from your Waldorf property. At Mike's Pest, Termite and Wildlife Control, we know how annoying ants are when they invade, so rest assured that we will do our best to keep your home ant-free. Call us today to request a quote and get started on our effective home pest control services.