Three Things Everyone In White Plains Ought To Know About Mice
October 14, 2020 - Mice
You do not have to be a genius to know pests are bad. The question is, what defines a pest? Some creatures are very clearly pests, such as cockroaches, ants, and flies. With others, it isn’t as easy to tell. Mice are one example of creatures that not everyone thinks of as pests. These small cute rodents are sold all across America and kept by many people as pets. The problems start when mice are let out of their cages and allowed to roam free around homes in White Plains. If you have never considered that mice could be problematic, here are three things you should know.
Mice Know How To Invade Properties
Some pests have to put in a tremendous amount of effort to get into a home or business. Mice don’t. These furry pests are practically built to invade properties. What we mean by this is that mice have notable features and skills that give them an edge over their competition.
Here are a few characteristics mice use to make invading homes easier.
- Sharp teeth: Mice have sharp front incisor teeth, which they use to chew through plastic, wood, siding, roof shingles, and even certain metals. Mice use these teeth to chew through walls, widen holes along the side of a home or business, and gnaw through other things that are in their way.
- Agility: A mouse can jump just under a foot into the air and climb a foot up vertical walls. Mice often use their agility to get into buildings through higher up entry points such as roofs, attic windows, and chimneys.
- Intellect: Mice are some of the smartest creatures on the planet; this fact has been proven through countless studies, some of which show these rodents masterfully setting off traps and stealing bait without getting caught.
Mice Are Dangerous
When mice are allowed to make their own decisions in life, they choose poorly. For instance, a mouse wandering around your home will not think twice before eating food out of your garbage can; it won’t even consider the number of dangerous bacteria or pathogens it could pick up. Because mice eat dirty things and live in dirty places, they often bring dangerous diseases-causing organisms into homes when they invade. These organisms get spread over countertops and tables, into food, around pantries, and all over the place. When cleaning up after these pests, make sure to use protective gear, as most mouse-borne diseases spread through their fecal matter and urine.
Mice Are Preventable
As big a shock as this is, you do not have to live with mice. There are ways to keep these annoying, destructive, and dangerous creatures out of your home. To start on the road to a mouse-free property, here are a few tips to try:
- Trim back bushes and tree branches from your home's exterior.
- Repair leaky pipes and fixtures around your property.
- Make sure your gutters are working properly.
- Use a caulking gun and some steel wool to seal cracks, holes, and gaps in the exterior of your building.
- Keep your yard and home clean and free of food messes.
- Pick up after your pets.
- Reduce clutter around your property.
What To Do If Mice Invade Your White Plains Property
If mice invade your White Plains property, there is only one solution you can trust to get them out fast, and that is professional rodent control. At Mike’s Pest and Termite Control, we offer comprehensive exclusion and elimination services for rodents like mice. With over 20 years of experience and firm roots in our community, we will make sure you get the services you deserve.